Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Computer Monitors: Too Much Information

Contest results regularly include pictures of hams and their shacks. Pretty well all shacks, not just those of contesters, include computers, and often several. That's a good thing -- our hobby evolves with the state of the art. However, what I often see in these pictures mystifies me. In particular, the number of computer displays.

Okay, that's an exaggeration. But there are an awful lot of monitors perched on so many of our operating desks. Here are a couple of examples that I scraped from the internet (identifying information removed).

Most modern computers support more than one monitor. Indeed, it is possible to have more monitors than there are connectors. Since it's possible, many take the plunge. That much screen real estate makes quite an impression. The possible applications are endless. The question I like to ask is: why?

Just because you can do something does not mean that you should; there should be demonstrable value to the practice. For many that does not matter -- entertaining yourself (and visitors) is perceived as a valid use case. 

I have a different perspective due to my interest in contesting. Too much information on the monitor(s) is either a distraction or ignored. I am interested in essential information on the monitor and nothing more. Essential information is that which measurably improves my results: higher scores and fewer errors.

To avoid fatigue it is critical that my eyes and neck need to swivel the minimum amount. The critical information needed to find and work stations should be directly in front of me. That's simply good ergonomics. Everything I need should be on one screen dead ahead. Rarely consulted information can be on another screen, on a background window or pulled up with a mouse when needed. For the same reason I place the rigs off to the side since I don't often touch the controls. I can use the important ones (e.g. the VFO knob) without taking my eyes off the monitor.

I won't say more about what I have on my screen since that depends greatly on the software that I use and my operating objectives. Your station may be quite different. I will say that, despite my strict attention to the essentials, it is difficult to fit all that I want onto one reasonably sized monitor. 

The challenge is greater when operating SO2R since there are applications and windows for two rigs and two bands. Further economizing is desirable and guides my plan for future improvements.

  • The window for my station automation software will eventually migrate to a small touchscreen, either connected to the same or a different computer. That will make it easier to use, while also moving at least one window off the main monitor.
  • Spectrum displays are increasingly being used and might not be easily fit on the monitor. One solution is to substitute the spectrum display for the band map, which is a feature of N1MM+, my usual logging software. Alternatively, rigs like my recently purchased Icom 7610 has a screen and a waterfall display. Unlike the spectrum display and band map, it is not labelled with call signs but I still find it very handy for locating stations and finding clear frequencies to run. By using the 7610 waterfall, I do fine with the legacy band map that plots call signs by frequency.

Computer technology is cheap, very cheap. When I enhanced my station for multi-op contesting last year, I could build a very capable shack computer for around $250 (CDN): $100 refurb PC (Win10, 8GB, SSD, WiFi), $110 24" monitor and $40 wireless keyboard/mouse combo. That's remarkable! No wonder so many of our shacks are sprouting multiple monitors and software applications. Consider a few of the many potential uses:

  • Gray line world maps
  • SDR
  • Digital modes
  • Software control of transceivers, amps, rotators, antenna switches, SO2R and more

The possible applications will only increase as the typical ham operating desk continues its transition from hardware boxes to software.

As I said earlier, if you want to see it all at once, well, you can! It's really just entertainment or eye-candy since you really can't pay attention to all of that information. You can achieve the same outcomes with less monitor area by pulling up what you need only when you need it. 

In a contest, you need less information, not more, but it has to be the essential information. Too much information is a distraction that will lower your score and accuracy. As an experiment, challenge yourself to fit everything you want onto one monitor. Since it won't all fit, you'll have to prioritize. That can be an educational exercise. Focus on what you need, not what you want.

Remove or hide windows that don't need to be constantly visible. Know how to bring them forward if and when you do need them. If you insist on their constant visibility, put those windows and applications onto a second monitor that is placed off to the side where it won't distract you. It should be out of the line of sight while you are focused on scoring points and multipliers.

Choose wisely and focus on the essentials. Don't be seduced by the allure of too much information. You''ll soon discover that you can accomplish more with less.

1 comment:

  1. When I look up a call sign and note the photograph(s) attached, I am overwhelmed by the giant monitor screen(s) displayed. Sheesh! Lights, cameras, action. I am most impressed by minimalist photos and operations.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated, and should appear within one day of submission.