Wednesday, June 15, 2022

CQ DX?

It's a warm June evening and I am seriously behind in my blogging. My intent was to write nothing until one of my many projects reached fruition, and then get back to publishing more technical articles. I have three partially written technical articles that are either taking longer than I'd like or the projects themselves are incomplete. I also have less time for writing because I have unrelated interests and responsibilities.

Since bloggers abhor a blogging vacuum, I come to today's article. What is DX and when is it appropriate or inappropriate to respond to a CQ DX?

I find it more of a nuisance on FT8 than CW and SSB. That is, when I call CQ DX on FT8 or a directed CQ such as CQ AS, I get many callers from W/VE stations. I do not consider them to be DX and they are certainly not in the targetted area. What they are thinking is less certain. When I make a directed CQ I rarely reply to them unless it's long distance propagation like W6/W7/VE7 on 6 meter sporadic E. 

Calls from non-DX stations has become so common that I often uncheck the "Call 1st" box on WSJT-X. I pick and choose every call. My reaction time in reading the caller list and choosing who I reply is more rapid and easier than when I was an FT8 novice. The early decode pass added in a previous WSJT-X version helpfully provides another second or two to the time you have to act. FT4 is far less forgiving of slow human reaction.

What are the reasons non-DX stations call me? I have an idea because some of them have told me:

  • I really really really need FN24.
  • I'm a W, you're a VE. Therefore, DX!
  • Contest! The normal rules don't apply.
  • I'm QRP (or a wet noodle antenna, etc.) and I have trouble working anybody. Please?
  • Not human: robot software configured to respond to a CQ from a call not yet in the log.

Other than the last item none of these are truly unreasonable. It's a matter of perspective or opinion and reasonable people can disagree. Most who call me when my CQ is directed elsewhere stop after one or two attempts. A few don't give up. The truly annoying ones are those that call on my transmit frequency since that can QRM the targetted DX. After all, most digital operators choose a transmit frequency (audio offset) that is free of other signals and callers know that can be a good way to work you.

Sometimes I answer anyway. When I am testing propagation with a string of CQs and there is a low probability of getting what I'm calling for, working others accomplishes my main objective: being present and, hopefully, being heard if the propagation allows. I use PSK Reporter to see where I'm being heard. When the opening is alive and I'm working stations in the targetted area I do not respond to stations that are not DX. 

I am also more likely to reply to calls from hams I know personally. This is often a way to say 'hello' which is otherwise quite difficult on digital modes. There can also be a real life penalty for ignoring a call from a friend.

When I call CQ DX on CW and SSB I am more likely to respond to non-DX. They usually just want a signal report or to know they are getting out. Unlike FT8, it only takes a few moments of my time. I will not spend the required one to two minutes for an unwanted non-DX FT8 QSO while a tenuous 6 meter DX path is in play.

JTDX will filter the decoded messages to exclude unwanted areas and call sign patterns. That feature reduces screen clutter during busy DX openings. You also have the dubious excuse of not seeing the messages of callers you would rather not be bothered by. Of course you risk filtering some callers you might want to see, including those of friends or to monitor what others are working.

I use WSJT-X so I see all callers. Following the activity on the screen during hectic openings can be difficult, but at least I have the opportunity to see everything. Some days I wonder whether I am making the right choice. Many active 6 meters operators use JTDX and filter unwanted callers. It is possible that I will trial the software and its filters. Maybe I'll like it and maybe not.

At least for this season I'll continue with my ad hoc reactions when I call CQ DX.

1 comment:

  1. Ron, I have been using WSJT-X for a while but recently switched to JTDX (I actually use both) and it is really quite similar, not surprisingly since it is a derivative work. You can quite easily (via a button) turn on and off filtering of calls based on selected criteria. A nice feature that I appreciate since I am terrible with prefixes is that it appends an an additional column to decodes with the country of origin (similar to what JTAlert adds on on). One very small thing that I really do appreciate (and I hate this about WSJT-X) is that JTDX takes the common sense approach of left-click on the waterfall sets the RX frequency and right-click sets the TX frequency, which makes a heck of a lot more sense to me than the shift-click approach used by WSJT-X, which seems nonsensical to me. The setup for both programs is virtually identical so I just recommend loading up JTDX and giving it a try. You'll catch on to the minor differences pretty quickly. Cheers Michael VE3WMB

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated, and should appear within one day of submission.