Sunday, January 2, 2022

Where Is My Straight Key?

A bunch of the local hams operated SKN (Straight Key Night) on new year's eve. Although I didn't plan to participate I enjoyed reading about their plans and the keys they'd be using. Afterwards came the stories of who they worked. It brought a smile to my face.

It also made me wonder: where is my straight key? I do have one...somewhere. It's very old and not in good condition. Some work would be needed to make it usable. I had an urge to see it again so I dug through boxes of disused gear and parts and I eventually found it.

Doesn't look like much, does it? I have little sentimentality for old things and I am happy to see them go when the time comes. I kept the key because it is the only one that I ever owned. Besides, no one would buy it and I doubt I could give it away. I must have been 14 when I bought it or it was given to me (I don't remember).

My father gave me a scrap of wood of the size I wanted. I sanded and stained the wood, and then screwed down the key. Three plastic feet underneath with pins for nailing into the wood complete the project.

I used it for sending practice until I got my license at the age of 15. One old tube transmitter put a bit of voltage on the paddle and delivered a mild shock when I would accidentally touch the metal lever. It was important to carefully grip the non-ergonomic knob by the rim! I used that key, as you see it, for the first 2 or 3 years that I was licensed.

Then came the contesting bug. The straight key was pushed to side and replaced by an early generation digital keyer with memories. The electronic iambic keyer was a blessing for allaying the fatigue of pounding out hundreds of contacts over a weekend. The key also improved my speed and QSO rate. I never looked back.

I know that I used it from time to time over the years, but those occasions soon became rare. I no longer recall when I last used it. It follows me around as I go about my life, packed in a box most often. It has moved with me numerous times. 

It does not work well. There are a couple of ball bearings missing from a cleaning and oiling incident in the distant past. They popped out, rolled away and apparently not all of them were recovered. The lever wobbles. This is a less than ideal condition to achieve a good "fist".

I always meant to replace the lost bearings but I never did. There was no urgency for an item that I never use and that I am unlikely to ever use. However, I do think about it from time to time. I could buy a new or used key -- they aren't expensive -- yet I haven't done that either. Perhaps I never will.

The memories it elicits have value and that's what really matters. Repairing and using it are less important. Maybe for the next SKN.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated, and should appear within one day of submission.