Monday, August 16, 2021

Return to the Flea Market

During the pandemic almost all hamfests and flea markets were cancelled. Recently we've seen a gradual return to normalcy. This past weekend I attended my very first flea market since 2019. That it was a 75 km drive did not deter me. It is a small local event hosted in the village of Mayberly by the Lanark North Leeds ARES.

The only reason I've been in that area before was while driving through to go elsewhere or to enjoy cycling the back roads with groups of friends in years past. It's beautiful country but off the beaten track.

I doubt there were more than 50 hams present and the vendors numbered no more than 15. It was done open air, from car trunks and tables at the back of the sod parking area of the local community centre. The weather was perfect for it.

The picture shows the sum total of my purchases. A few connectors and a handful of Bourns multi-turn 10 kΩ linear pots that I use for prop pitch motor direction indicators. The prices were good although they hardly justified burning 150 km of fuel. I did better earlier this month while dumpster diving at a tower service company. I scored numerous LDF4 and LDF5 Heliax connectors and short lengths of Heliax and LMR400. And it was free.

The most important reason for the drive was not the flea market: it was to see people again. That was by far the most enjoyable part of the trip. Bumping into friends I hadn't seen for a couple of years was great. There were good conversations with a couple of fellow contesters who also made the drive. 

With everyone wearing masks I was slow to recognize some people that I knew well. One fellow contester was unrecognizable with his large mask, glasses and a baseball cap pulled low over his forehead. I was only able to identify him by his voice. 

Since larger events in the region have already been cancelled I may not get another opportunity to meet up with many hams until 2022. It is unlikely that I'll be inviting anyone to my station to participate in a multi-op this fall or winter, or that they'd be willing if I did. Caution reigns for the time being.

1 comment:

  1. I can imagine you have been there for some social contacts although difficult. I can't wait till we start our club meetings again but doubt they will at the end of the year. Interesting find at the tower compagny.... Hope everything will return to normal in a few months/years. 73, Bas

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated, and should appear within one day of submission.