Thursday, November 22, 2018

Early Winter Interlude

This year has not been as productive as originally planned. I could have done more during the warmer months, but life is more than amateur radio. Now that contest and DX season is in full swing on the HF bands and my energy to progress various projects is high we get this:


So far we've gotten ~30 cm of snow and temperatures that keep it on the ground. In the photo you see my new tower project abandoned in the hay field amidst 60 kph wind, blowing snow and -10° C temperature. It's only up 40', so there's till 100' to go. Overnight the temperature dipped even lower, to -20° C, which is in record low territory for November.

Ordinarily this time of year is perfect for raising towers, with cool temperatures and no hay or bugs to worry about. I have in the past raised towers in winter and I would happily do so again. It is not so easy with a tower this size since I use a vehicle for lifting muscle, and the only vehicle that can deal with snow pack is a tractor, which I don't have. Although a winch will work I only have a manual unit and that takes a lot of work to lift 130 lb tower sections up high. I am also reluctant to ask friends to work in these conditions.

While I wait for a thaw that may not come my thoughts turn elsewhere. In particular, preparation for the CQ WW CW contest this weekend. One good thing about the deep snow is that it is far easier to navigate the bush to maintain the long northeast Beverage receiving antenna. I've been waiting to do that since it has been not been performing at its best recently. On reaching the termination I saw that the ground rod clamp was loose. Tramping out for needed material and back in again I made the repair and tested it last night. It's much better now. Later I'll buy a suitable clamp and make the repair permanent.

For the contest the 3-element vertical yagi has been fixed towards Europe. Although I now have all the parts I need to finish the switching system and critical components have been prepared -- switching matrix and identical coils -- it has been delayed to focus on the tower project while the weather cooperated. The switching system can be worked on in winter conditions. Setting priorities this way has the unfortunate outcome that the yagi switching system is not ready for CQ WW.

There are other maintenance projects to be done when the frigid weather relents, even if just a little. These include cable organization, SO2R control lines, rig-controlled switching among many others. For the present it's all on hold. Despite all these issues I am pretty well set up for the contest. My preparation for the next contest will be better.

I think it's time for another cup of coffee. For the Americans out there, have a Happy Thanksgiving. I hope to work all of you in the contest. The warm shack is very inviting right now and there are lots of VE3s and others scattered across the Caribbean to be worked as they, and I, warm up for the contest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated, and should appear within one day of submission.