Monday, October 14, 2019

Low Band DXing: You Snooze, You Lose

Those who have been reading this blog lately will know that I've been very busy lately with tower and antenna work. That time mostly comes from that devoted to operating so that the rest of my life isn't impacted too much. However there are many DXpeditions this month that do entice me to make an occasional effort.

One of those DXpeditions was ZK3A Tokelau. Although I have ZK3 worked and confirmed I wanted to log it on the low bands where it is a new DXCC entity for me. After working ZK3A on CW and SSB on 40 and 80 meters there was just 160 meters left to be worked.

I did try one time early in the DXpedition when I was awake during a sunrise enhancement. They were very strong for perhaps 10 to 15 minutes. Despite having a good antenna and running a kilowatt I was not successful. Indeed few in this part of North America had success that morning since East Asia, especially Japan, had the better signals.

As the sun climbed above the horizon they faded into the noise. Not being a morning person I tried only once or twice more. Each time they were not on 160 meters. I didn't fret since I was happily busy with other things and the DXpedition was scheduled to last until October 11.

On the 8th a friend called and told me how he'd worked them early that morning on 160. Rather than wait for sunrise he got up a little past 4 AM (0800Z), a time when it was daylight in Asia and most North Americans are asleep. The sun rises 30 minutes later in JA and the competition rapidly escalates. He planned it well and deserved the contact.

Our conversation motivated me to give it a try. A little after 4 AM the next night I got up and wandered in the shack. I turned on the rig and tuned around. About the only DX was a very weak T30GC making a few contacts with the west coast. There was no sign of ZK3A. In fact they were not spotted on any band.

Before giving up I checked one of the European DX news sites where the first item was that the DXpedition ended early. The boat arrived early for an unrelated medical evacuation so they tore the station down and jumped on board. I had missed my chance for good.

My friend commiserated with my bad luck by suggesting I'd have more opportunities in the future. But for him at his more advanced age, he explained, he might not have another shot at ZK3 on top band so he had to make the effort. It worked for him.

As the cliche goes: you snooze, you lose. Being a DXer isn't always comfortable not even when you have big antennas and power. The DX calls the shots, not you, and you must be flexible if you want to work them. I knew that yet I passed on the opportunity each night in favour of a good night's rest. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated, and should appear within one day of submission.