Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Surrounded By Turkeys

In my remote QTH there is ample wildlife. Deer, foxes and coyotes are the most frequent visitors. Beavers are a local pest since they damn creeks and wetlands causing road washouts and other problems. Countless chipmunks make homes in the piles of dirt I have lying around from all the tower excavations.

In the past couple of weeks I have getting increasing numbers of another species of wildlife: turkeys.


The smartphone camera doesn't do them justice. They were closer than the picture would make it appear. And they're big. Up to a dozen at a time can be found foraging in my hay fields. Despite popular lore about these birds they are not so stupid as to fall into any of the remaining tower excavations.

Speaking of excavations, completion of the tower concrete work has been scheduled. Assuming success I can start erecting the 150' tower at the end of this month. I'll have more to say on the topic as soon as I'm ready to go.

On a final note, I will be at the Dayton Hamvention for the first time in 25 years. Aside from shopping for parts and equipment I'll most likely be haunting the contest venues. If you see me there say hello. I'll be wearing this:


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated, and should appear within one day of submission.